[TowerTalk] Cracked flange on bearing on Drum of HDX-689

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cracked flange on bearing on Drum of HDX-689
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:01:52 -0700
OK.. I just discovered I have  2 x cracks  on the flange portion of the
bearing, that's on the end of the drum... the end that has the big chain drive
on it.

There is a bearing on each end of the  drum..and both appear identical to the
TB2-US  bearings, that's  also used on the mast.

There is a solid  2" shaft that runs the full length.    It appears to be
welded to the drum assy, at each end.     There is also a pair of sprockets on
the end of the shaft
that are held in with a keyway.    The gearbox redux drive  runs on a track..
and can be shifted to the left abt 1".... and the chain will come off.

What's the trick on getting the  keyway apart ?

There are 2 x  cracks in the flange..and both go right through to the bolt hole
!   These bearings are a 2 x hole mount.

Plan B, is I could loosen the bolt on the bad bearing, and pound the small
piece  back into place..then weld it.   I could also weld the bearing flange
onto the 3/4" thick steel end plate.

Has anybody else had this problem before ?

Tnx... Jim  VE7RF