Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:26:01 -0400

On 9/16/2010 2:01 PM, Bill Ogden wrote:
> Concerning the SteppIR on top of the tower and its effects on the
> half-sloper and inverted V.  I can see very little interaction.  The beam
> elements are not connected to the boom, so any "top hat" effect is due to
> right-angle coupling (which I expect is very little).  Both the inverted V
> and half-sloper have SWRs mostly in the 2:1 to 3:1 range where I operate
> (which is fine for me) and any changes due to SteppIR manipulation are very
> minor.
>
> Unless very long coax runs are involved, I always wonder why so many people
> are chasing 1:1 matches on the low bands.
It depends on your equipment. When I had the solid state KW you could
see the power falling off by the time the SWR hit 1.2:1, by 1.3:1 it
would be down by 200 to 300 watts.  With the present tube amp, it's more
a matter of how far I can move without having to retune.  On 40 I can
cover 7.150 to 7.185 without having to touch the tuning with the half
wave sloper.

Typically I use a line tuner/antenna tuner, tune into a dummy load,
match the antenna analyzer into the antenna, then switch over to the
antenna with the station. I run the legal limit, but even with the AT5K
tuner, I can cover over 35 KHz without having to touch the tuning at the
antenna tuner or amp.  I could probably make it up to at least 50 or 75
KHz but I've not tried it.

I forgot to save the figures from the 75 meter sloper, but IIRC it was
good for about 30 KHz.
160 gets pretty narrow so I want to try the fan approach, or a remote
tuner as a last resort.

73

Roger (K8RI)