Re: [TowerTalk] How to support a large loop?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to support a large loop?
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:38:09 -0400
On 09/21/2010 01:01 PM, W4ZW wrote:

> My question is should I firmly attach the flex-weave to each insulator point
> and leave enough slack for the wind, or should I use the sailing pulleys and
> let the wire run through them as the wind blows?
>
> I know that soon, there will be enough snow to perhaps seize up the pulleys
> even though I coat them liberally with grease.  Also does anyone have any
> experience with radial ice on #14 insulated long spans?

Not too long, since I just have an 80m loop here.

However, I did get it covered with about 1/2" of ice and snow,
several times.

I do leave the wire (I use aluminum electric fence wire) loose
in the insulators, but the main source of my loop's freedom of
movement comes from two other things:

1) I attach the antenna to the flexible branches near the tops
    of the trees, so the _tree_ can give a little when there's
    weight on the antenna

2) I leave plenty of rope going from the trees to the antenna,
    so the antenna can move laterally to the tree - think of your
    antenna as a big diamond shape, with a lot of the tree's
    movement being "sideways" as seen from the center of the loop

    movement that is "coming and going" from and towards the
    center of the loop can be compensated for with lateral
    movement of the insulators at the other trees

--
All rights reversed.