[TowerTalk] yaesu g-450a rotor troubleshooting tips

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] yaesu g-450a rotor troubleshooting tips
From: Alfred Frugoli <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:54:04 -0400
Hi folks,

I'm getting some maintenance out of the way, with the hopes of operating
some in CQWW RTTY to gear up for the other two modes.  Last spring I rotated
my antenna towards JA, and then it has stayed there all summer.  When I went
to the shack about a month ago, the rotor would not turn (when I press the
"left" or "right" button, not only is there no azimuth indicator movement,
but the antenna does not turn either - just to be clear).  I knew that the
lawnmower guy had gotten a little too close to the base of the tower, and
that there might be damage to the rotor cable.  There was a spot where the
outer jacket was damaged, and some of the individual insulation was removed
(I could see bare copper on a few wires), but it did not look like any wires
were broken.  Tonight, I cut out this "skinned" section out and spliced the
cable together.  Unfortunately, there has been no improvement.  I seem to
remember that when the cable is disconnected from the rear of the control
unit, the needle returns to a "default" position.  When I pull the cable,
there is no needle movement.  Am I remembering my g-800?  Or does this
happen on the 450 too?  Might I have something going on in the control unit?
 I do not believe that the rotor is up against one of the stops, although it
is in "overlap".

Any help would be appreciated.

73 de Al, KE1FO

K3 #3055