Re: [TowerTalk] RS-232 control of M2 Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RS-232 control of M2 Rotator
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:33:02 -0700
  On 9/27/2010 11:31 AM, Kelly Johnson wrote:
> I'm trying to remote my home station.  The last piece of the puzzle
> for (non-QRO) operation is the rotator.  I've tried several things to
> get RS-232 control of my M-Squared rotator to work, but so far no
> luck.  The rotator control box seems to be trying to communicate.  I'm
> using the standard M-Squared control box.  I see data coming back from
> the rotator, but it appears to be the wrong baud rate.  I've tried
> every baud rate (including the one that the manual claims should work)
> so far with no luck.  I've tried controlling it with Hyperterm and
> with DX4WIN.  Neither works.  This serial port works fine for other
> purposes.  This is a real RS-232 port; not a USB-to-serial converter.
> Anyone got any tips before I call M-Squared?

Kelly,

How long is the RS232 link? What kind of cable are you using?  One
limitation on RS232 performance is cable capacitance. Another is AC hum
between boxes at different AC outlets.  CAT5/6 cable works VERY well for
RS232. Use one pair per active circuit (with the return to common), and
wire all spare conductors in parallel and connect those to common (to
reduce IR drop).

73, Jim K9YC