[TowerTalk] Which rotator CDE HAM-III or Yaesu G-1000DXA?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which rotator CDE HAM-III or Yaesu G-1000DXA?
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:56:30 -0400
While I await the City of Fort Lauderdale's permit decision about my tower,
I have some decisions to make...

I have a CDE HAM-III rotator as well as a Yaesu G-1000DXA. I have
disassembled and reassembled both, they have new bearings and grease and
look good inside.

I'm likely going to put up a SteppIR 3 element with the 30/40M add-on
element, so both rotators are potential candidates given the manufacturer's
ratings.

One of these is going up the tower - I'll sell the other.

Facts around my installation:

   - This tower will be in a "salty" location - 30 feet away from a wide
   salt water canal, 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.
   - I have a rotor plate with the CDE holes already drilled.
   - I will order a computer control module for the rotator selected.
   - I have adequate control cables for either (both) rotators.

I'm interested in this group's opinion. Which would you put up, and why?

73,

Mickey, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL