[TowerTalk] Sommer

Subject: [TowerTalk] Sommer
From: "Tom Mandera" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:59:04 -0600
> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:41:35 -0700
> From: Joseph Contogenis <>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Summer Log Perodic
> Anyone know of a Log Perodic made by a small company called  Summer? Model
> Number 800?
> Thanks Joe

I just put up a Sommer, DJ2UT beam, the XP708 (base in my case was an
XP705 for 5 bands, this one had three additional bands added to become a
708).  They also had a XP50x and XP80x (the XP700 series has 4 elements on
20 meters on a 20' boom, the 800 has 5 elements on 20m).

I've had trouble trying to explain what it is, since it isn't a continuous
coverage log periodic, through maybe a log-cell, but at the same time it
loads elements "funny" as 5/8 wave or 1/2-wave and so on, and then there
are some parasitic elements thrown in for good measure.

In it's simplest form, my XP708, on 20m, is a 4 dipole driven array.

After that, it gets ugly, with the 5/8 wave, 1/2 wave, 1 wave loading,
parasitics thrown in, and so on.

As WB2WIK indicated, they seem to be out of business - you can review the
old website by using for

I have all of the paperwork for my XP708, and I scanned it all if you're
in need of some documentation.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT, KE7VUX