[TowerTalk] Protecting Control Lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protecting Control Lines
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 00:14:24 -0400
Are the devices sold for "lightning protection" of rotator and control lines
all simply gap+MOV protectors? Perhaps GDT?

Is one better than another? I respect your opinion, but do you have a
technical, non-anecdotal reason to believe which is better?

They seem damn expensive for what they are, so I'm considering building one.

Has anyone built a protection block?

I found these resettable fuses/MOVs while shopping to build one:
http://www.circuitprotection.com/catalog/2ProDS.pdf

Anyone used these?

(I don't have any relationship with any component manufacturer - this isn't
a plug.)

73,

Mickey N4MB