[TowerTalk] balun beads for 9913

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] balun beads for 9913
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 05:26:29 -0700
For 50 MHz, you want two or three turns through a 1-inch long core and
two turns through a 2-inch core,. and for maximum noise suppression, you
will want at least three of these multi-turn chokes in series along the
line, close to the feedpoint. The reason you need multiple chokes in
series is that you only need 2-3 turns to put the resonance at 50 MHz,
so you haven't got much benefit from N-squared.  Fair-Rite  #43 and #31
are roughly equivalent at 50 MHz.

73, Jim K9YC

##  what do u mean by a 1" long core ?    Does this mean  2.4" OD x 1/2"  thick
torroids used... and 2 of em stacked ?   Is a 2 " core  consist of 4 x torroids
?

## It can't be ID.   You won't fit  9913 through a  1"  ID very easily..well
maybe u can?
How  far apart is each of the 3 x chokes  to be spaced  from each other ?   How
do u
propose to keep this mess away from the boom..and or mast ??   I think I would
want
all of them to be at least one outer loop diam away from metal.     If they are
touching
metal, the C  between coax braid and boom/mast/tower  will surely screw up the
chokes ?
You would end up lowering their resonant freq.   The stray C would parallel
resonate the
chokes..and probably increase the choking Z...  but at a lower freq.   It might
be broad enough
peak to still cover 6m.

## In some cases, you can't hang em below a boom...if the connections  are on
top of the boom.
Even if hung below a boom,  I would not want them flapping in the breeze.
What's the fix ?

Jim   VE7RF