[TowerTalk] Cushcraft AP8 Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft AP8 Vertical
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:16:43 -0400
I just obtained an old AP8 which was broken off at the base. There is a round
black plastic blob directly above and connected to the center pin of the SO-239
feed point connector. I have reviewed the manual for the AP8 and that item does
not appear in the parts list. My educated guess is that it is an RF Choke used
to keep the vertical grounded to eliminate static charge. It might also be
shunt inductance for feed point impedance matching. Can anyone confirm my
suspicions? I doubt a replacement part is available so I will probably have to
wind my own. Comments welcome. 73, Ron W8RJL