Re: [TowerTalk] SPG panels/feedthroughs etc

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SPG panels/feedthroughs etc
From: Rob Atkinson <>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:57:40 -0500
It's not like copper is unobtainium.   At at least one hamfest I go to a
year, there's someone selling off long bars of copper that are drilled out,
sometimes tapped, for use as SPGs, radial plates, what have you, any
situation where a bunch of straps, wires, braid have to be at the same
potential.   I was at a fest a few weeks ago where a guy was selling bars 2
or 3 feet long out of breaker panels, for $3/pound.

The prob. with Al is you have to have a go-between if you want to connect
copper to it, usually brass, which is certainly doable -- you just need to
get the brass nuts, screws and washers, but it's an extra hassle and expense
you don't have to deal with if everything is copper--you can just braise or
use regular hardware (non-zinc).