Re: [TowerTalk] Bringing feedlines through the floor

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bringing feedlines through the floor
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:20:56 EDT
Dave and all, those spade bits are quite a bargain considering you can buy
a whole set for about the cost of a single metal bit or hole saw.
In addition, they work very well on aluminum, with a bit of oil for
lubrication. I have drilled holes up 1 1/4" diameter in 3/8" thick aluminum
ease. This works better with a drill press but can be done with a hand held
drill with a little care and a firm grip on both the drill motor and
Gerald K5GW
In a message dated 10/22/2010 6:47:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
K1TTT@ARRL.NET writes:

For  those wood working challenged people out there, there are 3 popular
methods  for putting holes in wood floors... assuming of course that you
you  have a wood floor under the shack and aren't really talking about  a
concrete floor where there are only 2, jackhammers and dynamite.   For wood
floors you can drill holes, the best option are hole saws or spade  bits
since even the largest normal twist bit can just barely fit a good  size
through.  If you need a larger hole you can get hole saws up  to about 3"
can use with a normal hand drill.  Beyond that, or if  you don't want to go
round you can use a small drill to make a starting  hole and then enlarge it
with a saw, either manual or small jigsaw works  well, for bigger and
holes use one of those demolition saws.   The final method is a fire axe.
They make really quick big holes but at the  penalty of leaving a few
splinters around the edges.

David  Robbins K1TTT