Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 94, Issue 54
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:08:29 -0400

On 10/27/2010 7:26 AM, Michael W5NIG wrote:
> ...after my last computer crashed and I replaced it and set up all of my
> email accounts I totally
> forgot about this one till yesterday!  Over 1k messages from tower talk!
> lol.  I think I"ll keep the
> last 5 or 10 and let the rest go ;>
> I have my old T2X with the terminal strip that was God knows how old when I
> got it, had my friend
> Bob W5FKN rebuild it for me and it was up on the tower for a number of years
> turning a 25ft mast,
> M2 three ele. 40m linear loaded beam and a Force 12 5ba.  Of course I rocked
> it to start (darn wedge brake!)
> and always coasted it to a stop!   Usually twice a year I would climb up
> there and realign the beam to
> proper direction. (never pinned it)
> ....replacing some tower sections now and will be a while before I get
> aluminum back up but picked up a used
> prosistel 61 for a REALLY good price, but will keep old trusty in the shed
> for my backup :>
Word of caution if it is one of the older "green" PST-61s.  The top seal
is a weak point with a reinforcement ridge around it that traps water.
The high carbon steel shaft rusts, then grinds up the seal, water gets
in and trashes the bearings.  A simple rubber flange with a slight cone
shape that extends well beyond the ridge, plus packing the recessed area
above the top seal with white lithium grease seems to take care of that.

Roger (K8RI)