Re: [TowerTalk] tuners (shunt C on output)

To: thompson@mindspring.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners (shunt C on output)
From: "knormoyle@surfnetusa.com" <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:52:58 -0800
Dave K4JRB "I use a Ten Tec tuner and it handles 80 to 10 OK
but if the 160 antenna is above 3 to 1 or 1 to 3 I usually add a big
transmitting mica on the rear to ground to make a good match."

so this is an extra output shunt C? I was playing with that looking at trying
to "fix" a friend's setup
up, by using the ARRL TLW program, with it's tuner calculators (TLW is really
fun with the tuner
stuff..shows loss, current, voltages on all components. It also includes stray
C on the output.

I increased the amount of stray C to model a shunt C like you say

I thought that I saw the L current go up..i.e. there's no free lunch.

Dave: any idea on how much power you run with the shunt C on? or how much loss
you expect?
Surprised you don't need a doorknob cap there to handle the voltages.

Ever since I read that MFJ thing talking about extra shunt C's, I've been
wondering about extra parallel
C on a T tuner on either input or output and when that's useful.

-kevin
ad6z