Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Ground Rods

To: Neil Sheldon <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Ground Rods
From: jimlux <>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 06:43:00 -0800
Neil Sheldon wrote:
> I have heard that copper ground rods are no longer going to be used because
> of some reaction it sets up with other metal objects in the ground (like guy
> rods). Has anyone else heard that?
> Thanks,
> Neil,
> K7WK

rods as a sole ground haven't been in the code for some years now.  Just
like using a water pipe isn't permitted as the sole ground.  (they can
be "part" of a grounding system)

I think the rod thing is because, when all is said and done,a single rod
is terrible ground connection, and its performance is very, very
installation dependent.

Compared to something like a Ufer ground, especially.  It's hard to beat
  tons of concrete with tens of square feet of contact area with less
than a fifth of a square foot of contact area in a rod.