Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:35:03 -0500

On 12/15/2010 11:39 AM, Joe Giacobello, K2XX wrote:
>    Nova did a presentation on fractals last night, and there was about a
> five minute segment with N1IR and fractal antennas.  Apparently, they're
> finding applications in cell phones and the like.  Although I don't
> remember the details, N1IR took a lot of heat from some members of the
> various ham antenna forums when he first proposed his ideas.
IIRC and I probably don't...
I think the *heat* developed for two reasons.  The antenna was proposed
for HF. Whether it was Chip or some one else I don't remember, but the
antennas are suited for the cell phone range. Adapting one to HF...It's
a limited space antenna *broadband* with the performance of a limited
space antenna. OTOH if you are tying to shoehorn am antenna into a
limited space...

The other, as I said IIRC, was he did not take criticism well and any
negative comments whether valid or not led to fireworks.  With that in
mind things went down hill...*quickly*
>    I guess
> that was about ten years ago.  Have he and his concepts now been vindicated?
As the way they were presented in the "News Groups"?  Probably not. gives an explanation.

Roger (K8RI)