Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:15:39 -0500

On 12/15/2010 9:01 PM, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> Well, Chip created controversy on here (and elsewhere)...  He seems to have
> made a market for his cell phone and other UHF antenna products - and more
> power to him...  This is 'supposed' to be a capitalistic economy where you
> take risks and get to keep the rewards (or losses)...
> But having Gov't / DOD contracts is not necessarily proof positive of a
> superior product...
I think it probably makes a reasonable, limited space antenna, but  not
nearly as efficient as a full size.  At Tom pointed out you can't
violate the laws a physics. He made claims about working Europe with one
watt using one of those antennas.  I worked a guy  (on 6-meters) down in
Honduras who was testing his rig on the work bench.  He antenna? A short
piece of wire stuck in the coax connector and laying on the bench.  He
was more surprised than I was.
> Having said that, as an empirical antenna nutcase, I am unable to visualize
> where bending my dipole into lebenty zillion short segments at angles to each
> other will improve the performance...
It won't<:-)) It'll just let you put it into a limited space with most
of the associated drawbacks of a limited space antenna. Radiation
efficiency has to go down, but you do gain bandwidth...which reminds does a 50 ohm resistor. <:-))
> He and Tom, W8JI, got pretty personal in the dispute...
So that's what you call that?
> Tom made his antenna arguments with an analysis of the fractal antenna based
> on the laws of physics, and some fairly deep math...  Tom comes across as a
> good old boy, but his education is solid in electrical engineering and he has
> the annoying habit of being 'right' most of the time...
> Anyway, it has been peaceful since Chip left the scene (or was pushed)and I
> prefer it that way...
> denny / k8do

Roger (K8RI)