Re: [TowerTalk] Recommended Coaxial Surge Protector for HF

To: Doug Rehman <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommended Coaxial Surge Protector for HF
From: Charles Coldwell <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 06:31:17 -0500
On Dec 31, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Doug Rehman wrote:

> The common coaxial surge protectors use gas cartridges for protection. It
> takes hundreds of volts to cause the gas cartridge to fire and conduct to
> ground (off the top of my head, I think it is around 600V).

You can get spark gaps (aka gas discharge) that will conduct as low as 90V.
Its a might higher voltage than a MOV, but like I said upthread, MOVs have too
high capacitance for RF.

Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England (FN42jj)

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F