Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

To: "Dale M. Schwartz" <dale@immlawfirm.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 01:01:50 -0500
Hi Dale.

I've been in the fire service for 27 years now and I can't tell you the
number of surge suppressors of the type that are typically installed on
a 1/2" or 3/4' knockout hole*http://tinyurl.com/2cpxn7a *that created
the structure fire that we were responding to.  On a couple of
occasions, I've seen them violently shoot green flames out of them in
every direction as they burned themselves to a cinder.

My power company installs the meter base style suppressor which places
it outside of the structure the majority of the time.  I'm sure that's
probably what you're also looking at.
http://progress-energy.com/custservice/flares/surgeprotect/appliances.asp
http://www.metertreater.com/Homeowners.html

73,