Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and wells

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and wells
From: jimlux <>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 07:10:41 -0800
> writes:
> I say  the well casing is a bad idea as many wells have submersible pumps
> which  are easily damaged by lightning strikes the local electricians
> tell me and  it does sound plausible.

  Those submersible pumps  are
> expensive to replace and a 165 foot  4 inch casing makes a great path  for
> lightning.

I wonder what the actual fault path was?  Assume for a minute that the
pump wiring were bonded to the top of the casing.  If lightning hits,
everything should rise and fall together? or maybe not.. differential
current flows in the power wires and the casing, so there's a potential