[TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE/LIGHTNING PROTECTION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE/LIGHTNING PROTECTION
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 05:05:02 -0800
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 23:49:03 +0000
From: "Dale M. Schwartz" <dale@immlawfirm.com>

The Georgia Power Co  whole-house plan is called Premium Protection, and I
believe is being sold by power companies all over the USA. They do the magic on
the electric lines, CATV, and telephone lines-- all where they enter the house.
They do provide a warranty ("insurance"?) against losses to most household
appliances and electronic equipment.
     The Internet web site says it does not cover "unusual electronic
equipment" and even the supervisors at the call center could not tell me if ham
gear would be covered. I asked them to send me the actual "insurance
policy/warranty form" and they mailed it today. As soon as I get it I'll report
here. Also I'm polling the S.E. DX Club members to see if any of them have any
experience with this program.
      I know that some of the major homeowners insurance companies cover you
for lightning strikes-- but probably not normal surges.

     My office building (abt 35 years old) in the past had big problems with
just normal surges that would blow power supplies on computers and telephone
equipment. The power company put a recording device on the line in my office
and you could see spikes occasionally where the 120 volt line would jump up way
higher for an instant. They put some device in the building (a surge
suppressor?) and that solved the problem.
           Dale. k4ROZ

###  go to the joslyn link below...... then  click on the  surgitron 1
series of protector's.

http://www.tnbpowersolutions.com/joslyn?site=joslynsurge

##  Ok.. then scroll  to bottom of page..where the various pdf's  are
located... and  find the pdf marked  " 1265-85M/MN"     this is the common
"single phase, 3 wire "  variety.    The M version  is used on main panels that
have the neutral and grnd bonded together.    The MN  version  is  for  sub
panels and any downstream protection, and also includes N-G  protection.
Both these versions  include back up modules in case the primary protection
blows the internal fuses.   It will handle  1000 x 20KA hits..and comes with a
5 year warranty.  [ It will take  12,000 x 10kA hits..and  400,000  x 3 KA
hits].   You can even get options like SS cabinet  or even an 'event counter'
Max  single pulse rating is 320KA .

##  shipping weight on this arrestor is 11 kg.   This and the  208/120 v 3
phase version..and all other versions in this series are the NA standard for
all telco's  across the usa and canada.   This  surgitron 1 series of
protection has been in continuous use  for decades now.   It's an industry
standard  for not only telcos',  but most commercial buildings as well.   The
240/120 v  single phase unit is easy to install near your main 200A panel..and
will never let you down.  It's easily the ultimate 'real deal' protector  for
any home.

##  if u look at pdf   " 1455-45-80-85 iom "     you will see a more detailed
write up.  1M  of wire is 1 uh...so the protection has to be very close to the
panel....otherwise u will get an additional  300v let through on a  typ 10 KA
surge.    These 3 phase  208/120 v units  are designed for panels that have the
neutral of the 23 phase Y  bonded to grnd.    They also offer  protection as
follows  L-N   L-G   and N-G.    They also use a combo of even more movs  + gas
discharge tubes  between  N=G.... even though the   N is bonded to the grnd  in
the main panel.

##  Their JSP series of protection is also superb..... just don't order the
optional EMI/RFI filter.    They can't be used with any kind of 'pulse train'
power  supplies.... IE:    any kind of switching supply  or typ ham radio HV B+
supplies..which are also the original pulse train supplies.  IE:  typ B+ supply
in a ham amp..under load... sucks a huge amount of peak current every 8.3
msecs....  for aprx 2 msecs in duration.

later....... Jim   VE7RF