[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Problems

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Problems
From: "Greg McConaughey" <>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:51:43 -0800
List-post: <">>
Our tower crew does rocks with chemicals - 

Drill a hole, pour and wait for a split.

Greg Mc

This electronic message transmission is intended only for the use of
the party to which it is addressed, including any attachments, contains
information from Avtech Corporation, which may be privileged,
confidential, or protected by law.  This document may contain technical
data whose export, transfer and/or disclosure is restricted by United
States law. Dissemination to non-U.S. persons, whether in the United
States or abroad may require an export license or other authorization.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, copying or distribution of this e-mail or its contents is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.  Thank you.
>>> On 1/7/2011 at 2:33 PM, Grant Saviers <> wrote:
> Another way to go is to split the rock with feathers (also called 
> wedges).  Check with a local quarry, stonemason, or grave marker
> to see if they will do it.  A series of holes is drilled along the
> (expertise needed to find it) and split steel cylinders are expanded

> with the feathers.   They are very hard steel with maybe a two degree

> taper.  The mason hits alternately each one in to the same ping tone
> eventually without any fuss the rock is cleaved into pieces that a 
> backhoe or backhoe with thumb can manage.  Amazingly (to me) you can
> "splitting feathers" on Amazon.
> Except for the hammer drill with the carbide bit to drill the holes,

> this has been done for centuries.
> There is also a technique to freeze water in a line of holes, but
> never done that, and it takes special refrigeration equipment.
> Of course it is much more fun to watch the local blaster play with 
> dynamite, been there also, << 500' from a building.  Is that a law
for you?
> Grant KZ1W
> On 1/7/2011 9:57 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
>> You just need the right equipment.
>> You can find someone with an excavator and rock hammer that will
make short
>> work of this. The rock hammer is a hydraulic jack hammer that
replaces the
>> bucket on the end of the excavator/backhoe. In your part of the
>> I'll be that most excavation contractors have one - you can rent one
>> Sunbelt Rentals in San Antonio, but it will take you some time to
use it
>> safely - hire a pro unless you have a lot of other holes that need
>> snip

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>