[TowerTalk] concrete base for Rohn 140 foot SSV

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] concrete base for Rohn 140 foot SSV
From: "Marvin Gorden" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:25:06 -0600
Looking at the Rohn base specs, I am quite surprised at the requirements,
assuming I read it right.  For a base, without piers, the specs call for a
14'-3" X 14'-3" X 4' concrete base ( 30.1 cubic yards).

To me that seems like considerable over kill.

My tower has 8N, 7N, 6N, 5N, 4N, 3WN and 2W sections.

I looked at a 140' SSV installation a few miles away from here and that base
is 7'-9" square.  I don't know if that sets on piers or how deep it maybe.

Any qualified comments would be appreciated, before I start digging.