Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death

To: Michael Hatzakis <lists@hatzakis.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:21:36 -0500
Drawings or not, as a ham, you should know where things cross your property
and where the easements are before you dig. In most places, these
call-before-you-dig services will come mark everything for free. Sketch it
out for yourself or hire a surveyor to place it on a survey.

Don't ever dig in the easement or pound ground rods unless you know the
location of everything. . Most public utilities make a concerted effort not
to use private property without a legal easement, except for your own
services... but it happens, so be safe rather than sorry.

If the orange is a communications fiber bundle, that's a big one and lot of
people are happy you didn't cut it.

If it were power, you are happy you didn't cut it.

Be careful out there!

Mickey N4MB

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Michael Hatzakis <lists@hatzakis.net>wrote:

> Its my belief that as a ham, whether you're digging a base for a tower, or
> driving ground rods, you need to go to city hall and get the surveying
> drawings for your house.  Most houses have these as part of their
> paperwork,
> but if not, most cities and municipalities have these drawings easily
> available.  Bad idea to do anything in backyard without this info.  When we
> built our tower, we HAD to show these as part of our permit to build the
> tower base.  I am sure there are plenty of people on TT with more info on
> this.
>
> mh

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.