[TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

To: TowerTalk <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:16:48 -0500
Has anyone had any experience with compression-type PL-259s?  I haven't
had any in my hands yet, but they appear in places like the Farnell
catalog in the UK, and use a compression scheme similar to compression
Type N connectors, which seem to be much more common.  I would do almost
anything not EVER to solder another PL-259 braid connection, and my
experience with crimping other types of connectors, such as type F, has
been miserable.  What got me started on this today was that I just
bought a compression tool and some connectors (F and BNC) at Lowe's
today and the F connectors, at least, seem to work quite well - very
positive physically and seem sound electrically.  I realize the
compression scheme for the larger connectors is different, but anything
would be better....

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at,
spots at, port 7000