Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:00:05 -0800
On 1/31/11 6:49 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Jim, many thanks for the tips! Linx has two way rf modules listed and
> that will allow direction control as well as remote direction sensing.
> I can see the possibility of installing a rechargeable battery and
> photocell charger at the rotator to get rid of using a power cable to
> rotator. That will require use of a dc type motor but most are that type
> anyway.
> My cable is over 700ft long and overdue for replacement after more than
> 25 years. At the price of copper today, the replacement cost will pay
> for a lot of wireless hardware.
> In addition, I bet the lightning induced failures are much improved.
> Thanks again/73,
> Gerald K5GW

I've always thought that a 802.11b interface with a directional antenna
on a singleboard computer like those from Soekris might not be a bad
solution for this kind of thing.  It requires a fair amount of software
fooling around though, to get it working and doing something useful.
The off the shelf wireless data link boxes are more useful for that
reason.. basically they're like a remote relay so you can drop them into
an existing system.