Re: [TowerTalk] TX-472 and Ice

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX-472 and Ice
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:35:03 -0800
HI Dan

Sometimes my tower gets stuck like that and I just release the brake and let
it down just a little and reset the brake, then grab the top guy and wiggle
it a little.  Usually that lets it come down OK.  Mine hangs up on the first
cross brace sometimes.

You wouldn't want it to fall 10-12 feet though :-)  73

Tom W7WHY

I went out this morning to crank the tower down for the pending Ice storm ,
the
problem is that the top section is stuck , i got lucky i was cranking away
and
looked up and saw about 10-12 feet of cable hanging out the side of the
tower ,
which scared me to death , i quickly cranked it back up before the top
section
broke loose , my question is with nothing on top of the tower except a wire
antenna , will the tower handle up to a 1/2 inch of ice when it is extended
about 60-65 feet ? i don't think we are supposed to get any major wind just
sleet and ice.

thoughts.....

Dan N8DCJ