Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......

To: Barry Kirkwood <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:59:19 -0800
My G5RV's are 'get on the air' antennas with 100w and an ATU, but a
dipole per band or set of fan dipoles work better in my experience and
have a useful and predictable pattern but take more work.  TANSTAAFL per
Robert Heinlein.  The G5RV ladder line to coax splice has been a
reliability problem, especially when a balun is added to keep the RF off
the coax. b.t.w. the DX Eng ladder line and center insulator for same
are a joy to use and well thought out.

RE the "old old timers" not caring about SWR, 100% modulated AM at 1kw
into a 10:1 SWR would present quite a voltage challenge to an ATU, the
coax, balun, and connectors.   I remember arc's in my air core B&W balun
at two hundred watts AM out of a Johnson Valiant.

Last time I ran full power into a store bought "full legal limit rated"
G5RV the coax failed, so no QRO operation for them. The instructions
said "full legal limit", I thought a suspect claim, so I called the
manufacturer, and they said "no problem".   Stupid of me to have
believed them.  Caveat emptor for most antenna manufacturer claims!

Grant KZ1W