To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 97, Issue 73
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 05:39:18 -0500
On 2/8/2011 5:25 AM, pc2a@pi4cc.nl wrote:
> Michael W5NIG schreef:
>>> Does anyone know how much different, if any the newer PST61D is to this
>>> earlier 61 rotator? So far the 61D has been turning the Steppir MonstIR
>>> for
>>> 4 years without a problem.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> N2TK, Tony
>>>

>>    I'm curious about this as well!  I bought a used 61 (motor sits vertical
>> instead of horizontal)
The motor (green one running on AC) can be mounted vertical or
horizontal. Just be careful as the older ones were filled with gear
lube  and it tends to get messy when you remove those 4 bolts and break
the gasket seal to reposition the motor.  The gear lube can be replaced
with white lithium grease, which I believe they are now doing at the
factory.
>>   last year, think it is abt 10 yrs old. (was on pins
>> and needles
>> until I got home and tested it, hi hi:)     Any trouble with the older
>> version
>> I should watch out for?
Yes, the  only weak point I know of is the top seal.  it sets down in a
recess where water can collect.  You need to add a shield to keep water
out of this area. (and grease)

Here's a fairly thorough rundown on rebuilding the older PST-61
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm .  Starting with photo 22 shows
what I did to protect the area.  Earlier photos show the results of
water collecting on the seal causing the shaft to rust, the seal to fail
and what water getting in can do to the bearings and shafts.

The rust on mine was bad enough we had to turn down the shafts where the
seals fit.
>>       Michael de W5NIG
> We (PI4CC) has bas experience with this rotor. Within 5 years it hits
> the trash can.
Hopefully not.  They use normally available automotive parts except for
the gears them selves. The bearings and seals are inexpensive automotive
parts.  Although fairly easy to rebuild there are a few critical points
which are addressed in the rebuilding link above. It cost me less than
$30 for all new seals and bearings.  The top and bottom of which are
very common wheel bearings.

73

Roger (K8RI)