Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

To: Fernando EC1CT <ec1ct@esbesaya.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:32:42 -0500
1. Aluminum and stainless steel are dissimilar metals and will corrode when
in contact with one another.
2. The physical construction of a screw is that it has fairly sharp ridges
for threads. When in contact with a soft metal surface and subjected to
mechanical vibration like wind action or antenna rotation, these ridges wear
on the holes in which they're used and abrade the soft aluminum - they
"round out" the hole.

Better to use a backing structure (fiberglass/pvc, etc) that holds the screw
threads or a backing nut, or a hose clamp.

Many of these rivets are aluminum or alloy that won't cause galvanic
corrosion (as in case 1) and their contact surfaces are relatively smooth,
to solve case 2.

Rivets are a good mechanical solution when properly set and when a high
quality rivet is used. The trouble comes when they're not tightly applied
when pulled, contamination (sand/salt, etc) permeates the joint and the
joint or rivet wears from mechanical or galvanic action.

All designs are compromises. The designers of Force12 antennas have chosen
rivets because they're cheap, light and effective. Rivets hold airplanes
together very well, but few of them are the type you get at the hardware
store.

73,

Mickey N4MB