Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivet

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivet
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:47:26 -0500
I've had several failures with Force12's rivets, both on elements and on
the boom.  I don't know if they're still using rivets to connect the
boom to the boom-mast clamp, and the boom-element clamps; mine were
early models.

One thing I've done with all of my riveted connections is to wrap them
with several wraps of Scotch 88 or 33, and then spray with Krylon
Crystal Clear, *OR* cover the joint with a piece of shrink-wrap tubing -
the thick wall kind, UV-resistant, with glue inside is the best.    This
protects the connection from corrosion, and traps the rivets, preventing
them from falling out if something goes wrong.

73,
Steve
NN4X