Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 21:12:23 -0500
> There's probably some elegant mathematical proof (along the lines of
> Chu's and Harrington's) that says you can't get there with the
> constraint of all being on the same boom and interlaced (e.g. having
> a really long boom with a 20m 5 el Yagi, a 15m 5 el Yagi, and a 10m 5
> el Yagi, arranged end to end, probably isn't a "good" solution, even
> if the RF performance would be fairly good.

Arranging three monoband antennas end to end would violate the 95%
efficiency for the total boom length criteria but that was my point
from the beginning.  Unless one is using tunable elements, the wind
load (extra elements) goes up significantly and/or the efficiency
goes down significantly in any triband antenna design.

Absent a rotating tower, monoband antennas for 40, 30, 20, 15, 17, 10
and 6 meters (or even 20-6) are out of reach for most single tower
stations.  The SteppIR DB-36 and DB-18E (or original Yagis for 20 -
6 meters) are game changers in many cases.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV