Re: [TowerTalk] champion radio replacement clamp for orion 2800

To: "'Dick Hanson'" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] champion radio replacement clamp for orion 2800
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:11:44 -0500
I'm using the Champion replacement clamp on my Orion rotor, which turns a 16
sq ft antenna. It's working as advertised: the mast hasn't rotated in the
clamp at all since I installed it.

When using the stock clamp, the beam used to rotate up to 60 degrees in high
winds (around here that means 40+ MPH). Since installing the Champion clamp,
the beam hasn't budged. Well, actually that's not true. Early this winter, a
heavy wind caused the antenna to rotate on the mast at the boom-to-mast
clamp. It appears that eliminating the rotation in the rotor clamp revealed
the boom-to-mast clamp as the weak link. Since tightening those bolts as
hard as I could, the beam hasn't budged. I may need to use some loctite on
those u-bolts. Of course, none of this would apply to a base-rotated tower.

I love the look of the N7NV clamp, and I'm sure it works very well, but it
was significantly more expensive and would have required me to jack up the
mast/antenna quite a bit more to install. The Champion clamp can be slipped
in with minimal clearance between the mast and rotor. I was also concerned
about the tolerance of the N7NV clamp if my mast happened to be slightly
larger than 2".

73, Dick WC1M