Re: [TowerTalk] Tower for Challenging Terrain

To: "'J.P.'" <jp@ezoom.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower for Challenging Terrain
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:41:37 -0500
Ditto. My 110' Rohn 55 tower is on a steep slope. The base is on a narrow
strip of relatively flat ground that's not much wider than the base in the
uphill/downhill direction, but stretches away from the base flat for about
80 feet in one direction and at least 300 feet in the other direction. The
long stretch of flat ground allowed one of the three sets of guys to be
approximately the Rohn-specified length for the tower height and attachment
levels, though very slightly shorter because the land rises a few feet at
the anchor. The uphill guys are quite a bit shorter than Rohn spec and the
downhill guys are quite a bit longer.

As W2XX/7 says below, try to maintain the same angels as guys over flat
ground. However, you may find, as I did, that you can't do that for multiple
guys terminating at the same anchor. To get the angles exactly right, you
need separate anchors for each guy. I didn't do that because the cost was
very high (9 anchors instead of three) and the angle differences were fairly
minimal. I ended up positioning the anchors so that the angle of the top
guys exactly meets Rohn spec. On the uphill and downhill guy sets, that
resulted in the middle guy being off from Rohn spec by about 2 degrees and
the bottom guy being off by about 5 degrees. I'm not an engineer, but this
amount of deviation doesn't worry me.

73, Dick WC1M