[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Heat shrink Tubing

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heat shrink Tubing
From: K8RI on TT <>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:59:19 -0500
List-post: <">>
On 3/10/2011 10:38 AM, Bill Aycock wrote:
> Friends-
> This seems like one of those "Everyone knows THAT" queries, but I have
> tried and mostly struck out. I need help on this subject. I have
> "Googled", looked at catalogs, and tried the "Big Box" stores, and

There are many places that sell the stuff.  I use the "flooded" or 
adhesive lined MMM tube and do not find it overly expensive and the 
quality is worth the price at about $10 for a piece of 1" and less for 
the 1/2". It comes in lengths of some where between 3 and 4 feet. shows how I use 
it. I've never had a failure using it and being lined with "hot melt 
glue" it's pretty much a "cut to fit" and then "shrink to fit". It takes 
a heat gun and quite a bit of heat to shrink it. A hair dryer definitely 
will not work<:-))

The two sizes cover everything from RG58 through LMR-600 as well as the 
UHF (PL259) and N-Type connectors as shown in the above link.  Once 
shrunk the wall thickness is substantial and it adds considerable 
mechanical strength to the connections and splices.

I purchase the MMM at the local electrical supply house (Medler 
Electric) which I think is not part of a chain, but I would think most 
any electrical supplier would have it.  It's a bit specialized for the 
big box stores, but some outlets might have it or some other version.

I much prefer the tubing with the hot melt glue coating on the inside.  
No further sealing of the connections  is required. If you look at the 
numbers on the tubing it has both the "as purchased size" and then the 
"after being shrunk" size.  The  0.800/0.22" appears to be a bit larger 
than that, but it will *almost* shrink to 8X size ( 0.22"), but not 
quite.  When using UHF connectors on RG58 or RG8X you use a short piece 
of the 0.400/.12 size and then the .800/.22 size over the connector.  I 
don't have any photos of using it on the smaller size coax, but I do use 
it with a lot of 8X.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

> struck out. I need some basic information about Heat-shrink tubing,
> specifically for use on Coax and Connectors, for RG-8, RG-58, RG-213,
> RG-8X, standard hand assembly and Crimp.
> Questions I have:
> What sizes do you use for these, and how is that size defined?
> Do you use "Flooded"?
> Where do you get it, and how is it packed? (ie, roll,  or pre-cut short
> lengths)
> My original source, where I could sort through a range of available
> stock without much thought, closed last year, and a recent perceived
> need woke me up to my ignorance and need for serious help.
> Snickers are OK.
> Thanks-- Bill--W4BSG


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>