Re: [TowerTalk] towers for guys with weak body parts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] towers for guys with weak body parts
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:18:22 -0400
On 3/20/2011 7:38 PM, Alan NV8A wrote:
<snip>
> A few years back I was considering one of these, but one of the
> long-time "inhabitants" of this reflector -- a tower installer in
> another part of the country (so he wasn't going to be getting any
> business from me) -- said the tubing was like that used in lawn furniture

I don't remember seeing any thing wrong with the tubing used. It was the
welds that failed and they failed to stand behind the work. Still,
remember that was over 30 years ago.

Now I do have some old (brand X) 8'  tower sections here that I use to
hold up verticals, or wire antennas. Those are made of the soft aluminum
and backwards (upside down?) joints that collect water.  The welded
cross braces are too soft to climb and the tubing is easily bent.  Even
those very old Heights towers were built far better than that.

73

Roger (K8RI)