[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding Question
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
This has been discussed many times.

My suggestion: Put a copper or aluminum plate next to your ground rod. Drill
holes in the plate and place female-to-female coax feed-through in these holes.
Let EVERY coax cable between our trx-es and antennas pass though these
feed-throughs. Also pass your power cable, with ground wire attached to the
plate, though the plate and groud your surge protector in the plate as well.

When (if) a lightning strikes, all your equipment will see a minimum of voltage
across your equipment, something you want. Remember, every access point in your
shack has to "stay close" so an outside surge doesn't get a chase to develop
current though your (expensive and/or hard earned) equipment. Done right, all
(or most of it) current from your cables, running in and out of your shack
should be shorted out by the plate.

Good Luck and 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS