Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: K8RI on TT <>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:36:13 -0400
On 4/3/2011 10:32 AM, wrote:
> I use nylon rope all the time for tower work and for supporting temporary
> antennas and I have never seen the stretch that you describe Roger.
> Actually I like a little stretch when installing large antennas as it allows
> for a little height adjustment while on the tower. According to the
> internet, nylon rope stretched 10-15% when under a load equal to 30% of it's
> breaking strength.

I don't think I'd want to be on a tower with temp guys that could easily
move 10-15 feet with a 100 foot guy line length. <:-))

Dacron and other synthetics give a little, but are far more stable than
Nylon which also deteriorates quickly in direct sunlight.  I don't think
you'll find Nylon used by riggers very often.

Roger (K8RI)