Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:04:43 -0700
I just rebuilt one of these.  Certainly the bearing races and balls need
cleaned and regreased.  A synthetic grease that is TFE loaded is what I
used - "Superlube" by Synco.  The rotator I rebuilt was stored outside
on its side for a while so some water had leaked in a rusted half the
balls, so I replaced all of them with ones from McMaster.  Also it had
probably been in one position for a long time in the tower so the races
were lightly dimpled from the short stroke oscillations.  I used a fine
grade emory cloth to smooth these out and it seems to function fine.

The potentiometer is another critical part but I had no problems with
it.  Otherwise, clean things up and lubricate other obvious spots.  You
might replace all of the mounting bolts with stainless, as I recall they
are 8mm, but not sure of that with the rotator not in hand.

Mark the cases so you can put it back together in the same orientation.
The manual is on the web.

Grant KZ1W