Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for 80m

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for 80m
From: David Gilbert <>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:13:25 -0700
If he was going to dedicate a 43 foot antenna to 80m, he easily could
top load it for good performance and efficiency.  At my previous QTH, I
put up a 44 foot vertical (it just happened to be how much tubing I had
handy) on top of my flat roof home, guyed with nylon twine at the top
and at about the 2/3 point.  The top guy lines included 4 perpendicular
lengths of 10 gauge aluminum wire (Radio Shack guy wire) each about 11
feet long connected to the top of the pole and sloping down at about a
45 degree angle.  I had modeled the setup in advance with EZNEC for
resonance and it came out almost dead on when I put it up, even though I
was only able to feed it against counterpoise wires rather randomly
stretched across the roof.  The bandwidth was not wide so I still used a
tuner in the shack, but the SWR on the line was reasonably low.  I
worked about 120 countries from Arizona with it the first year, although
it took an amp to get the harder ones and it definitely put a strain on
the ears to hear many of them through the band noise.  The suggestion
somebody made to use a separate receiving antenna, such as a small
pennant or K9AY loop, is a good one.

Dave   AB7E