Re: [TowerTalk] yaesu g800sa

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yaesu g800sa
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:03:00 -0700
On 5/3/2011 3:37 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> If so, perhaps your cable is undersized for that length?

Yes.  My run to a GX1000 is 350 ft. I translated their specs on wire
size to resistance, came up with #14 as the right size. It works fine.
As others have noted, the other three conductors can be much smaller,
since they're only sensing the position of the 500 ohm pot.

You should be able to measure DCR for the motor between pins 4 and 5 of
the rotor cable. I'm not next to my manual where I made notes, but I'm
guessing you should see something like 30-40 ohms if the wiring is
good.  You should read 500 ohms between pins 1 and 3. Pin 2 is the wiper
on the pot, and R to pins 1 and 3 will depend on the rotor position.
You should see no connection between the motor wires (4 and 5) and the
sense wires (1, 2, and 3).  As I recall, pin 3 is the rotor frame.

73, Jim K9YC