Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radial

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radial
From: "DF3KV" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:16:00 +0200
Hi Tom,

If you put a vertical with just one elevated radial on your rotator it is
nothing more then a bend dipol.

A dipol in theory might have 3db gain against a quarter wave as you doubled
the number of 1/4 elements.

Don´t expect real gain, just a little bit of directivity.
That directivy of course is the result of loss into other directions.

With decent height a horizontal dipole with its ground gain will outperform
that bend dipol and directivity will be even better.

Impedance close to 50 ohms suggests 14 ohms earth loss resistance and
results in poor efficiency otherwise with a true ground mounted quarter wave
vertical.
Resistance inserted into an atenna system extends the band width as well.

If you want a vertical antenna for any reason high in the sky use a J-pole
antenna.

73
Peter, DJ7WW now