[TowerTalk] Used heliax buying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Used heliax buying
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:35:30 -0700
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:50:53 -0400
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used heliax buying

Tough question, but I'll try to answer.

It's hard to find deals on 50-ohm hardline. I assume that's what you're
looking for. Brand-new LDF5-50 is $5.75 per foot from The RF Connection. I
assume that's close to the list price. For comparison, the list price for
LMR-400 ranges from $0.88/ft $1.35/ft, and LMR-600 is $1.70/ft. Note that
cable prices have surged in the past few years due to the rising price of
copper.

I couldn't find any used 7/8" heliax for sale on ebay for comparison.

If the cable is in good condition, I would think something in the
neighborhood of $2/ft or less would be a decent deal.

73, Dick WC1M

###  Steve Davis, at Davis RF...sells RFS  brand 7/8"  heliax  for
$2.35 per foot..... NEW.    List price is $4.70    This  stuff is even
better than Andrew...since it has a corrugated  center conductor and
also a corrugated outer conductor.  The Andrew heliax has a hollow Copper
tube for the center conductor.  The stuff steve has is WAY  more flexible.

## he also has the other RFS version, which has the same corrugated center
conductor,
but has a corrugated  Aluminum outer conductor.  Now that new AL stuff is all
the rage
with cell co's  in Eu, Asia, etc.   It's  even LESS $$.   It's also a lot
lighter. [ CU is heavier than
steel].   This  new  Cu inner/ AL outer is available in 2 x sizes.... 7/8"  and
also  1.25"

##  I believe the AL in 7/8"  format is well < $2.00  per foot..and the 1.25"
format is not much more.
The 1.25" format is also way more flexible than Andrew's hollow cu tube heliax.
  He also  has all the
connector's for them.   Check it out.  It's a better  mouse trap than a hoolw
cu inner tube.

later..... Jim   VE7RF