[TowerTalk] Rotator problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com, VHF Reflector <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator problems
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:58:29 -0400
I have an odd Rotator problem.

In my Rover setup, I have an old Hygain AR40 rotor.   For the past
several years I have been having an annoying problem.  Whenever I turn
the antenna the rotor moves to the desired position but instead of
stopping, as it should, it keeps "bouncing" back and forth several
degrees.  And it will keep bouncing until it over heats, or until I shut
off the power.

My "work around" has been to switch off the power when it reaches the
correct heading.

While preparing for the June VHF contest I discovered it doesn't do this
when plugged into the household 120v outlet.   But it does do it when I
use my deep cycle battery and inverter.  So it seems to be a power issue.

I don't believe the inverter is the problem.  The rotator is rate at 85
watts.  My old inverter was a 100 watt model, and my current inverter is
a 400 watt continuous / 800 watt surge.   So it really shouldn't be much
of a load...

Any ideas?

The reason I had it on the bench was to take it apart, check the pot,
clean and grease the bearings, check the connections, and replace the
rotor cable.  None of which seems to have helped.   I'm a bit stumped.
I am considering just wiring up a box with momentary switches for left
rotate, right rotate, and a meter for direction....

Oh, load on the rotor for my application is a push up mast, and 3 VHF
yagis, and cables.  Altogether maybe 30~35 lbs...

Scratching my head,
73

Dan

--
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at: