Re: [TowerTalk] Probably stupid coax question

To: "jim feldman" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Probably stupid coax question
From: "Steve Katz" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:46:08 -0700
I've used 9096-IIA (it comes from International Electronic Wire & Cable
of Chicago) hundreds of times over about 20 years.

I've never had to cut a single strand of the center conductor to fit a
PL-259 connector.

Of course, you do have to use "real" PL-259s that are made to the
specification; I use Amphenols mostly.

The trick is to LOOSELY twist the strands together while stretching them
out, to make a long, slim bundle out of the 19 (nineteen!) strands.
Then, make very sure the "end" of that bundle isn't any larger in
diameter than any other part is.  Don't cut this twisted bundle at all,
just insert into the connector with the center conductor properly
aligned with the center pin -- this can be viewed a bit through the four
solder holes in the connector body.  When the end of the bundle enters
the pin is just about where the jacket material should enter the rear
end of the connector, at which point of course you must "TWIST" on the
connector, onto the cable jacket.

Works every time for me.