Re: [TowerTalk] switch

To: Doug Dietz <dcdietz@chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] switch
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:51:29 -0400
Hi, Doug,

IMHO, the DPDT switch originally fitted to my tower was insufficient, given
that it lives outside (in my case) in a tropical marine environment. Current
can kill one of those dpdt toggles very quickly in the event of a motor
stall, so I replaced it with something more robust.

I found a Bremas drum switch mounted in a weatherproof PVC enclosure with a
GFCI protector, although it looks like they're all sold from this source:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=200560059494&nma=true&rt=nc&si=xgl%252BHjYmIzZj3h441Jw4n75sRbo%253D#ht_1558wt_1141

This assembly was made for boat lifts and is conveniently marked UP and DOWN
for the two switch positions. Drum switches are very likely what are being
used in current towers - DPDT toggles are $5 or less, but I'd prefer to have
something that is designed for service as a reversible electric motor
switch. In this part of the world, if I need to get the tower down, I REALLY
need to get it down!

I realize that it is spending $100 instead of $5, but you get what you pay
for!

73 and good luck!

Mickey N4MB