Re: [TowerTalk] 40M/80M Vertical Choice - second attempt

To: "Clint Talmadge W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>, "'Jack Brindle'" <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M/80M Vertical Choice - second attempt
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:50:25 -0400
Instead of a remote tuner, why not remotely switch in either doorknob caps
and/or Toroid inductors.
Most remote tuners are no more than 200 watt capability. Most likely because
the size of the necessary inductors and capacitors make the remote tuner way
too big. But you could make a simple remotely switched network at a lower
cost with beefy parts for a few band segments. T300A-2 Toroid cores would
make nice loading coils.
Like one set of parts for CW one for RTTY and one for phone.
That would be good for 80/75. Then bypass all components for 40 meters.

The top loading on the MA8040 is preferable to the base loading on the
butternut.

Dan Schaaf

K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com