Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Tower Legs in Concrete

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Tower Legs in Concrete
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:32:00 -0700
On 6/29/2011 5:59 PM, Bill Feissner wrote:
> I Installed 2 Rohn towers some years back and my instructions right from Rohn
> stated to coat the tower legs with black roofing tar below and above where
> the legs come out of the cement. I gathered the purpose was because water
> inevitably lays around the legs and this would protect them. These towers
> have been up many many years, with maintenance of course, and so far no
> trouble and no corrosion around the legs where they come out of the concrete.

Two years ago, I poured cement around 4 ft of Rohn 25 for a 120 ft
tower. I had previously painted the entire tower with ordinary house
paint to minimize visibility.  As it happens, I poured cement for a
second, shorter tower yesterday.  I used Rustoleum on that one.  In both
cases, the tower base sits on a 6-inch layer of large gravel so that the
legs can drain.

73, Jim K9YC