Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:52:32 -0400
On 7/14/2011 7:12 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
> The OP is looking for designs to construct the tower, while your link
> shows an install, impressive as it is, using commercial tower parts.

That tower is completely home brew.  All parts were fabricated by John
WD8RXP.  There were 3 semi truck loads of structural steel along with a
small fortune involved in building that tower. <:-)) He had enough in
that thing to purchase one of the current, self supporting,  rotating
poles 190' tall and loaded with antennas.

> Although if time is money, constructing a tower from scratch is not a
> good financial deal.

It took John a good two years to erect that tower, so it was not a time
saver.  His ultimate goal was to be able to use the quad 440 array and
control the HF station on his 50 mile drive to and from work via the 440
band.

> BTW, there has been at least two other installs in MI almost exactly
> like the 83 QST example (maybe inspired by), and each of the owners met
> an untimely death. Just sayin ...:-)

I don't think John's Leukemia had much to do with the tower though and
he didn't cut any corners in the design which was done by a mechanical
engineer.

I'd not hesitate to build and climb my own tower, but I have the
background to do so.

Back "in the old days" there were articles about building 60 foot self
supporting towers "constructed out of wood". I believe there were some
in both QST and "The Handbook".

Building towers, climbing those towers, flying airplanes, jumping out of
airplanes with just a parachute, and even driving to work carry risk and
a reasonable level of skill.  That we kill off about 35,000 a year in
cars says a lot for the lack of drivers skill.  That the death rate has
improved from around 50,000 a year is more due to the changes in
construction of the cars than to any increase in driver skill.  Playing
with big towers carries more risk than small ones.

73

Roger (K8RI)