Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs

To: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:26:39 -0700
A used boom lift might be a good alternative to building a tower.  I've
been tracking the used market and they go for $10k to $15k, used in good
condition for 50-60 footers.  (About the installed cost for a 72'  crank
up)  Generally, they can handle 500# loads at full extension at 45
degrees, some are even rated 1000#.  So, my educated guess is a pretty
big tribander straight up is no sweat on a few feet of mast.  Of course,
it's pretty easy to work on the antenna and bring it down for a storm or
hurricane.

Think of the power of the built in rotator!  And they are a lot of fun
to run, put antennas in trees, fix your roof, paint the house, etc.

Might also be an answer for hams with tower restrictions - :-) :-) :-)

Wherever there is multistory construction there are a lot of them.
Several on ebay and craigslist most all the time.

Grant
KZ1W